Wednesday, January 2, 2554

How much money is in Your trash can?

10 March 2011 by Saundra Davis


I'm not a big on resolutions and not making them at the dawn of the new year. If you are not satisfied with how things are, I think it is an area that my behavior is different from what I want to be and try something new. No "shoulds", without shame, just checking out other options. That said, I have to admit that I am really on a roll with my discretionary money "revolutions" and I feel pretty good about that. Before moving to my new "challenge Cash" I want to give you an update on the budget.

Last month I told you about my successful venture into a cash commitment for all things related to yarn. After you have saved more than $ 200 using only money, I attended the "Conference of yarn" that everyone was sure that would destroy my budget and my determination to keep the credit and debit cards in your wallet. Well the naysayers were wrong! Simply wrong! I have been quite successful in the West of stitches and was part of the budget. I had saved for two months to have a budget of $ 300; I have no idea how I decided on this amount, since this was my first visit, so I just pulled this amount out of ** censored ** [air]. I must admit I was tempted to use the card – just for convenience; Had the money, but it was in a long line and the person who takes payments seemed to prefer the cards (I doubt that she was the owner of which I suspect it would be more concerned with profit margin). Four hours later, fondling yarn I had spent $ 115 smaller budget. I attribute this to use cash only for my purchases.

Since I am so happy with my personal financial revolutions so far this year (day 15 cash challenge and my chest awe-inspiring savvy-ness at the extravagance of knitting), I began to think about a new adventure. I read an article that said that an American family of four spends nearly 9,000 dollars a year on food 1 Add articles of paper, personal care products and other items in the supermarket, and the family is spending $ 10,000 per year. Yes, I was shocked too, especially since we spend quite close to that for my family of two. This got me thinking about how much of what I was going unused (Yes, too much to buy food that ends up in the trash or compost heap).

There are usually healthy eaters (we are in California, after all) and buy fruit and vegetables, organic grass fed meats – which can be expensive – but I don't really know the cost of food we throw away. So once again: challenge! We will use the money only for groceries and food out for 15 days to see if we spend less. To track the value of unused food, we put our food intake on the refrigerator and place a checkmark next to how to use them and an x if I should throw it away. At the end of 15 days I tally them both and see the result.

The idea of this is exciting and scary, I mean if there is something more I love it is eating yarns (and chocolate but that anyone who throws away?). I did some research and found a blogger who posts pictures of food that went wrong in his refrigerator; I don't think I'll try to do that, but I like the idea of responsibility. My dear partner in blog, you're my accountability … until next month!

1 according to the survey of consumer expenditures of the Federal Government

Saundra Davis
President & CEO
Sage financial solutions
San Francisco, CA

Be the first to enjoy this post.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment